Essays, podcast episodes and poems from the Food for Free Thought blog about reason and rationality, ethical living and applied philosophy.
Reason and rationality is a powerful cognitive framework that has been a force behind modern technological, social and artistic progress. The practice of honing the senses and training the mind is ongoing, but it is a necessary pathway for those of us interested in fairness, progress and truth.
“It is philosophy that has the duty of protecting us … without it no one can live a life free of fear or worry.”
– Seneca the Younger from Letters to a Stoic, Letter XVII
“Education is the art of making man ethical.”
– German philosopher Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Here we’ve collected all of the Food for Free Thought essays, podcasts, poems and other resources related to critical thinking, ethical living and practical philosophy. Please enjoy!
How to think critically and clearly
- Wants vs. Interests: Thinking Like an Adult for a Childish Election
- The Mind-Numbing Blasphemy of “I Feel Like”: Technicalities of Language and Truth that Matter
How to live an ethical life
The art and practice of scientific inquiry
Environmental stewardship and participating in nature
Stoicism—a practical path of self-knowledge and courage
- What Wisdom Is: Seneca and the Practice of Philosophy
- Death the Companion: Seneca’s Advice for Moving On, Letting Go and Checking Out
- On Taking Revenge and Becoming a Worthy Opponent: Marcus Aurelius on the Mindset of Effective Retaliation
- What Would Seneca Do (WWSD)? Two Kinds of Fear and the Practice of Authenticity
How to use philosophy to change your life
- FFFT Podcast Ep. 2 – Evan Meffert: Tales of Beer and Postmodernism
- Practicing Freedom: Commentary on Three Core Truths from Eric Weinstein
- A Plea from the Edge of the World: How to Handle Post-Election Anxiety and Stay Sane During the Trump Presidency